Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Back in ACtion!

Monday started my adventures back into the teaching world. At Holy Cross, we are on a block scheduling which allows the teachers to get a new set of students mid year. The classes changed about a week before my return, but on Monday it was like the first day of semester two all over again for the kids. I call them kids although they are indeed high school students because like small children, my students still do things that show innocence. It's really the reason that keeps a teacher in education is when the students say or do something that totally catches you off guard and makes you laugh hysterically. In that sense, it was great to be back to work.

A little apprehensive about my new environment (change of classroom-new schedule-the soreness of my knee at the end of the day), I was quite worried that things wouldn't be the same back at work. After one day, I knew that this is what I missed but I was correct those things sure came into play. I am thankful for the fact that they are accommodating my crippledness and putting me on the first floor so that I don't have to worry about walking a mile to the elevator and/or climbing stairs. However, when I say I miss my classroom that is an understatement. I worked hard this summer to make this room I was given last year (basically a shit room left for whoever wanted to attempt to make it into a classroom) into a teachable and student friendly room. Once you have taught in that room for a 1 yr and a half you begin to call it your own and you become comfortable. Naturally, changing me to another room has made me awfully mad, because now I have to transfer all that desk crap to this other room that I share with totally unorganized teachers! My new schedule isn't that bad minus the fact that my sub didn't make it an easy transition for me to come back. I am teaching BIOLOGY now and that has been a challenge. The goal each day is to not sound like an idiot when talking to the students about shit I cannot remember from 10th grade. I am the next teacher in the building with the most competency despite not being certified so therefore, I am this semesters Block 6 bio teacher! It's funny when the kids write questions they have about the class for me on the first day and the kid writes, "Are you REALLY the teacher?"
Just as I expected but worse, the knee is not liking all this standing throughout the day. As much as I try to not stay on my feet the entire time, I am one of those very energetic teachers even in the classroom that cannot sit down so naturally the knee looks like a grapefruit at the end of the day. It's been a tough two days back. I've had to go from waking up at 10am -11am to 5:45am and not getting home til 8pm each day. Last night I had therapy and I was exhausted by the time I got there. I'm sure it will take some time to adjust to but for now it is not pleasant!

I love my kids and am blessed to have one of the most rewarding jobs ever! However, I won't lie when I said I was wishing for a snow day. How bad is that? I just spent 1 month and a few weeks at home away from work but yet was wishing for a day off. I got it though! (BTW-the snow looks beautiful on the ground and in the trees!) This day off may lead me to AC today! Stay tuned!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Tiff,I see you haven't changed a bit.You never leave out any details do you?It's that dork Rich you met in summer school many moons ago.I hope all is well,if you want to contact me my email is mrsmee77@hotmail.com